As many of you know by now, George and I are having a baby!!!!! Baby Yu will arrive sometime in early January 2009, barely making it into the Year of the Rat. 🙂 We’re both extremely excited and can’t wait to meet the littlest Yu.

Anyhow, one of the things I like to do when I’m stressed or anxious is to write. Which is why I’ve decided to keep an ongoing journal of the pregnancy. Kind of like killing two birds with one stone, because for one, writing all of my symptoms, feelings, and anxieties down will actually serve as a type of therapy for me as well as give you guys a chance to knock some sense into me if I get too paranoid or freakish. Two, I can keep track of and record everything for future reference.

This “Page” will be updated weekly, so check back often! I’ll TRY to update on the same day every week (Tuesday). You’ll probably notice that weeks 1-5 sound like recaps. That’s because I didn’t get this brilliant idea of blogging about my pregnancy until Week 5 so had to recap everything that happened before. I’ll try and be more “active” in tone when I start writing about my current happenings.

Week 0 (April 2-8):

If any of you know anything about the whole miracle of birth, you’d know that week 1 and 2 of any pregnancy is when a woman’s period first starts. Which means every woman is technically pregnant for two weeks out of every month. Weird eh? Basically, it’s the couple of weeks right before the birds met the bees. So nothing exciting happened.

Week 1 (April 9-15):

Sometime this week, we decided to indulge in some sushi and A LOT of sake…(ahem).

Week 2 (April 16-22):

Not really feeling much of anything. We had been trying for a few months and this was the first month that George changed his high blood pressure medication (also known as the male contraceptive!) so we didn’t really have any high hopes that this was going to be the month. Little did we know…

Week 3 (April 23-29):

Somehow, I had a feeling that something was “off.” So on Friday, April 25, I decided on a whim to take a home pregnancy test. It came back a very, very, very, faint positive. At first, I wasn’t even sure if my eyes were playing tricks on me, so I decided to take another one the next morning….and got back a big fat PREGNANT. However, even after two test from two different brands told me that we were pregnant, I still couldn’t believe it. So I waited until Monday morning to visit the Kaiser clinic in Pasadena to get yet another urine test, and confirmation.

Week 4 (April 30-May 6):

Never one to really keep secrets, George and I told our families right away! Haha. But we did make the sensible decision to not make a public announcement to our friends until after our first prenatal visit with the ob/gyn, which is scheduled for May 22. By then, I will be around 8 weeks and hopefully have seen Baby Yu on the ultrasound to make it all COMPLETELY real. Trust me when I tell you, however, that there were times when I completely freaked myself out with everything I read about being pregnant, and the very real and common possibility of having a miscarriage. But I’ve since learned, that the key is not to stress. I know it’s easier said than done…trust me. But sometimes, stressing can cause even more problems. I had a physical on April 30. I scheduled it way before, so my doctor was good enough to give me some pointers and advice about being pregnant. She also performed a pelvic exam (which made me feel totally violated) but did tell me that everything “felt” fine. Whatever that meant.


Cramps: This was the week that my “flow” should have started. And of course, it didn’t. But I did feel like it was going to come at any moment. In fact, I kept running to the bathroom to check. I had pretty bad cramps, which totally freaked me out until I read on NUMEROUS messageboards–and was reassured by TWO ob/gyns–that cramping is completely normal during the first trimester.

Frequent urination: I also started to pee more frequently. I’ve never had to wake up in the middle of the night just to go to the bathroom, but somehow, every single day this week, I got up just to pee.

Sore boobs: Actually, they weren’t so much sore as they just downright HURT at times. Sorry if you’re a guy and you’re reading this, but hey, at least now you’ll know what your wife or gf or whatever will go through. Anyhow, the soreness began somewhere in the middle of the 4th week and haven’t stopped. The only good thing about this is that they seem to be getting bigger. Ha. 😉

Week 5 (May 7-13):

I’m so confused about the way we’re supposed to date our pregnancy. I’m told that the FIRST day of our last menstrual period should be the first day of pregnancy. Which means if the first day of my last period was April 2, then technically, the first week of my pregnancy should be the week of April 2-8, which is what I’m going by on this blog. HOWEVER…on and other sites that help you date your pregnancy, they all say that I’m a week earlier. So this week is actually my 5th week….which means my first week should’ve technically been Week 0. Ugh. So confusing. Anyway, I’m going to go with my own calculations until I go in for my prenatal appointment and the doctor officially dates my pregnancy with an ultrasound. 🙂


Light cramps: Definitely not as bad as they have been. But I can still feel a little cramping now and then.

Frequent urination: Yep, still going, and going, and going. Every time I drink a sip of water, it seems I’m going within 30 minutes. At least I’m flushing out my bladder.

Fatigue: The past few nights, I’ve been in bed by 9 p.m. It’s not like suddenly my eyelids grow heavy and I’m walking around like a zombie, I just get this overwhelming sensation of not wanting to do anything but lay in bed. There have been times this week when I’ve felt like all I want to do is sleep. This usually happens at work…so I’m not 100% sure if this is pregnancy related. Heh.

Lightheaded: I have felt a bit lightheaded during the day. It’s an odd feeling that makes me feel kind of out of it.

Sore boobs: Yep, still hurting. They were so painful last night that I literally had to adjust my seatbelt while driving because even pressure from that was causing me an incredible amount of pain. During this week, we went to the beach one night for a bond fire to celebrate my sister’s birthday. It wasn’t THAT cold, but it was windy, and somehow, the chill of the wind made the pain of my boobs almost excrutiating. 😦

Headache: This week, I had my first headache since I found out about the pregnancy. I was really tempted to take a Tylenol but resisted, even though I’m told that Tylenol is completely safe. I read that the first 10 weeks of pregnancy is the most crucial in the baby’s development, so we should avoid taking ANY over-the-counter medication and try to find other ways to alleviate our pain.

Nausea: Yep, it’s finally hit. I’ve been told that it’s a gradual sensation and will get worse as the weeks go on. So far, I’ve only experienced bouts of mild nausea, and already it’s making me ill.

Week 6 (May 14-20):

Starting to not feel very well at all. Since it’s George’s mom’s birthday this weekend, we decided to drive up to Sacramento and make it a road trip. Thankfully, my body seemed to take pity on me, and I was nausea-free the entire time we were on the road! But I still have no appetite. Boo. We went to a nice seafood restaurant for dinner and all I could stomach was a Caesar Salad. 😦 Next week is our prenatal appointment!!! Wahoo! I’m so excited! I can’t wait to see the little parasite. Hehe.


Light cramps: Definitely not as bad as they have been. But I can still feel a little cramping now and then.

Frequent urination: Getting better. Not really needing to wake up in the middle of the night anymore.

Fatigue: Tired during the day. Could be because I’m getting unrestful sleep from the nausea. Ugh. Long naps make me feel better.

Sore boobs: Either it’s getting better, or I’m getting used to it. Either way, it’s not bothering me as much as before.

Nausea: It’s funny, once the nausea hit, all of the other symptoms seem to be either fading, or just pale by comparison. I think it’s more of the latter. Nausea sucks. Not sure if this is how most people feel, but when I start feeling it, it’s like when my stomach is upset and I can’t tell if I’m about to have diarhea or throw up. It’s a very unsettling feeling. I can’t wait for this to end. 😦

Loss of appetite: I seriously think that I will NEVER enjoy eating food again. Nothing appeals to me. Even when I’m hungry, I try to think about what I want to eat and nothing sounds good. And if I think about it too long, I start feeling nauseous. I hope this feeling passes soon. It sucks when I can’t take pleasure in what I LOVE to do…

Week 7 (May 21-27):

Just when I thought I was passed the whole sickness thing, it pulls me back in. Ugh. We went to our appointment on Thursday, and it might have been the adrenaline from the excitement of finally seeing the little life sucker, I felt GREAT from that point on and throughout the weekend….until Sunday. The minute we touched down from our return flight to Los Angeles from Tennessee, the nausea came thundering back. 😦

Our first appointment was long. We were at the hospital for almost three and a half hours! And George wasn’t even able to be in the room with me during the ultrasound because the technician said I had too much gas and had to do a vaginal one. Talk about feeling violated and being traumatized. But all of those bad feelings went out the window when she turned on the volume and I actually heard the little heart beat!!!! 😀 I’m really disappointed though that George missed it, and all he could see was the print out of the ultrasound with the little smudge. Haha. Ah well, it’s probably better for him this way, since the next time we get to do an ultrasound will be around the 20th week when we can REALLY tell what we’re looking at and find out the sex of the baby. 🙂


Frequent urination: Getting better. Not really needing to wake up in the middle of the night anymore.

Fatigue: Tired during the day.

Sore boobs: Either it’s getting better, or I’m getting used to it. Either way, it’s not bothering me as much as before.

Shortness of breath: When I’m on my feet for too long, I find it hard to breathe. I’ve read that this is normal because of all the hormones and extra blood surging through my body making my heart work extra hard.

Nausea: Still there.

Loss of appetite: Even though I don’t crave anything and nothing ever sounds good, I’m still eating…because I just found out this morning that I gained FOUR POUNDS!!!! What a ripoff.

Week 8 (May 28-June 3):

Nothing really new to report for this week. The sickness is really starting to get a lot worse. Even though I haven’t thrown up yet, I almost feel like I’d feel better if I did. Ugh. I seriously wonder how people with multiple kids do it. Why would ANY woman in their right minds want to go through this more than once? People say they ‘forget’ about all the discomfort once the baby arrives…at this rate, our baby will have to be damn cute for me to forget.

I have started to ‘crave’ things. Pinkberry with fresh fruit topping for one. I think I like it more because eating it gets rid of the bad taste I get in my mouth from the moment I wake up till the moment I fall asleep. The bad taste also adds to the sickness. However, it only goes away while I’m eating, and comes back the minute I’m done. Sigh. At least this particular craving is ‘fat free,’ which is more than I can say for my latest craving…McDonald’s Filet-o-Fish sandwiches. It’s the only thing that I can think about eating and not feel nauseous. Weird huh?

So this week (or last) I’m officially two months pregnant. Which means I’m exactly 2/3 of the way through my first trimester. Which also means that the little life sucker in me is now the size of a thumbprint. Haha. I won’t even tell you how many times I’ve put my own thumb up to my tummy to get an idea of how big it is. It’s amazing, because from how I’ve been feeling lately, you’d think it’s the size of a watermelon. Ugh.


Fatigue: I now average about 12 hours of sleep a night. Not to mention the hour-long nap I take when I get home from work on the weekdays, or the three-hour nap I take on the weekends. 🙂

Sore boobs: HURT HURT HURT!!!!!

Nausea: UGH.

Weight gain: I actually lost a pound this week. Which brings my total weight gain so far to three pounds.

Week 9 (June 4-June 10):

According to all the books, this week should be the week where I feel the WORST. Week 9 is when the hormones start to really rage making all the uncomfortable symptoms worse than they have been…and it’s true. I actually threw up for the first time this week. It was so not pretty. But miraculously, I felt a lot better afterwards and for almost two days I was nausea-free.

I can’t really fit any of my pants anymore, not that they’re too tight, but any sort of restriction I have around my tummy makes me incredibly uncomfortable. Restrictions meaning buttons, zippers, velcro…you name it. Which means my wardrobe these days have been reduced to three skirts, workout and yoga pants, and George’s boxers. At first, I refused to buy any maternity clothes because I think they’re just a waste of money, but my mom actually bought me a couple pairs of maternity pants, and they look like tents. The sad thing is, even though they look huge now, I know in a couple of weeks, I’ll be able to comfortably fit into them. 😦

My second prenatal appointment was also this week. Met the nurse practitioner that will be seeing me probably more than my ob/gyn. She seemed really nice and informative. She even used a doppler to hear the baby’s heartbeat…and it’s as strong as ever! 🙂 I wish George could have been there with me, he would have definitely gotten a kick out of it. She also told me that I’m a bit anemic, which means in addition to the big prenatal vitamin I have to take everyday, I also have to take iron pills that look like gross black buttons. Blech.

Anyway, three more weeks until the end of the first trimester!


Fatigue: Sleep is my friend.

Sore boobs: None of my bras fit me anymore. It’s so uncomfortable. I seriously wonder why anyone would EVER want to get a boob job.

Nausea: Finally threw up this week. Not that that’s anything to be proud of, but it did make me feel a bit better.

Weight gain: Gained back the pound I lost last week. Back up to +4 lbs.

Cravings: Chocolate milk and iced tea.

Week 10 (June 11-June 17):

Actually, I was wrong. My second trimester doesn’t technically begin until the 14th week. Which means my first trimester (also known as hell) won’t end for another four weeks. Ah well. At least my symptoms seem to be subsiding ever so slowly. My boobs don’t hurt as much anymore and my nausea is starting to wane. I can’t really say that it’s completely gone yet because more often than I’d like, I’ll find myself dry-heaving in the bathroom. Not a pretty site I tell ya. The only thing that gets me through it is reading the weekly newsletter I get from and seeing how my little life sucker is developing. 🙂 It’s amazing how cute a picture that looks more Alien than human can look. Haha.

My appetite seems to be growing, too. Good thing I haven’t really started gaining any weight. I’ve been able to maintain my +4 lbs. They say on average, you’re supposed to gain about 2-5 lbs. in the first trimester. I’m hoping I can keep it under that. I got my hopes up when I thought my first trimester was going to end in a week or so, but I guess now I have to really watch what I eat. I haven’t really CRAVED anything…but I did suddenly decide to go and buy myself TWO croissants this morning, and mind you, this is after I already ate my usual morning breakfast of two slices of wheat bread, an egg, and a cup of chocolate milk. 🙂

I’m still getting used to the new ‘mom do.’ It is quite nice to know that I can get ready in 10 minutes every morning…and that’s with a shower! Since summer will officially be upon us this weekend, I’m glad that my hair is one thing I don’t have to worry about being hot and bothered about.

Anyway, this week’s post is going to be a bit longer. So bare with me.

Names. Since the moment we found out we were pregnant, George and I have naturally been thinking about what to name the baby. Actually, we started thinking about this long before our little kumquat was even a sparkle in our eyes. 😉 I know most of you probably think I’m crazy for talking about this so openly and publicly because apparently there are people out there who actually steal other people’s ideas when it comes to what to name their babies! But I honestly don’t think that anyone I know will purposely “steal” whatever name we come up with for our baby, and if anything, by putting it in writing here, we’re calling “DIBS!!!” HAHA.

George had always wanted to name his daughter Casey. For some reason, he thinks that’s the cutest name for a girl. I actually agreed, but we had to quickly toss that out the window when I informed him that my cousin in Taiwan had already named his daughter Casey. (George was very sad.) A few other names we’ve considered but couldn’t use were (in no particular order): Jack and Rob (for obvious reasons) and Lucy. Recently, however, the perfect name came to me. And I think we have a winner. No matter if it’s a boy or a girl, we’re going to name our baby Tyler. His or her nickname will be Ty, which sounds like Tai!! Tai Yu. 🙂 It’s the perfect combination. 🙂 And no, I don’t think I’m going to retire my little life sucker’s current nickname just yet. 😉


Fatigue: I don’t FEEL tired, but I find myself laying in bed and ASLEEP every time I get a free moment to myself.

Sore boobs: It’s finally..FINALLY getting better.

Nausea: Still there, but feeling better more and more.

Weight gain: Trying to maintain my +4 lbs. But from the way I’ve been eating lately, not sure how long this is going to last.

Cravings: Croissants and sandwiches with a lot of mayo.

Week 11 (June 18-June 24):

It’s been SOOOOOOOOOOO HOT! I used to laugh at George when he’d wake up in a puddle of his own sweat. Now, I find myself in my own puddle. It’s really quite disgusting. Nothing like waking up with your shirt all wet. Ugh.

Anyway, I digress. This past week has been relatively painless. My nausea still comes and goes. And I’ve noticed that I’m starting to have feelings in my stomach that I haven’t really experienced in the past. I think it’s either indigestion or heartburn. Both of which are common pregnancy symptoms. But I can’t seem to narrow down what it is I eat that gives me such discomfort. The only thing I know that makes me sick for sure is strawberries. Sigh. Which means I can kiss eating fresh strawberry pies goodbye. 😦

I am very excited to find out that there is a beverage out there that doesn’t make me want to throw up the minute I drink it. Very very cold CALPICO! Does anyone know for sure if there’s any caffeine in Calpico? I don’t THINK so, but I don’t know for sure. I don’t want to start downing cans of it and find out later that I’ve been ingesting more than the allowed dose of caffeine I can take.

Next week, I’m going to start swimming at the Pasadena Rose Bowl Aquatic Center. It’s the nicest facility in our area and it’s very close to work. Plus, my sister and Andrew have already been going every morning for the past month and seem to really like it. I really need to start regularly exercising. My weight is slowly starting to creep upwards, and before I know it, I’m going to blow up like a beached whale. Not to mention I was kindly reminded by Eric this past week, “MAN when did you get so wide??” 😦


Fatigue: Due to the heat this past week, I haven’t slept well at all. Day or night. 😦

Nausea: Comes and goes.

Weight gain: +5 lbs. (UH-OH)

Cravings: Bread, lots of bread.

Week 12 (June 25-July 1):

So much for my plan to keep my weight gain under 5 lbs in the first trimester. I got on the scale on Monday morning and realized that I gained THREE POUNDS in one week. Not sure if some of that was water weight, but as of now, I’m +8 lbs. 😦 The good thing is, I started swimming today. It’s my first day, so we’ll see how long I can keep it going. I plan to go at least 3x’s a week in the morning, and attend the prenatal water fitness class at noon on Wednesdays. Hopefully, this will be enough to keep my weight in check.

A lot of people have speculated that I might be having a girl because of the way my stomach looks. “Hip to hip” they say. Whatever that means. I think the theory is that if the stomach is wider, it’s more likely a girl, and if it’s pointier, than it’s probably a boy. Ha. George is really hoping for a boy. I guess we’ll know in a month or so.

I’m also debating whether or not I should pay to go get an ultrasound done so that George can see the baby for the first time since he missed out last time. Kaiser is pretty cheap when it comes to giving ultrasounds. I think they only allow like TWO during the entire pregnancy! Boo. I guess I shouldn’t complain since we are only paying $5 for the delivery. Hahaha.

Anyway, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’m slowly getting rid of some of the symptoms I’ve been experiencing! Hallelluja! Now if only the nausea will go away…


Nausea: Comes and goes. The dry-heaving seems to be getting worse.

Weight gain: +8 lbs. (BAH!)

Cravings: Carbs and spicy food.

Week 13 (July 2-July 8):

One more day and I’m officially in my second trimester!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I’M SO EXCITED. Not sure why, but it just seems like a major milestone. I’m definitely starting to feel better. I THINK the nausea is starting to fade. But that also means that my appetite is growing…for instance, today, I was craving a fish burrito for lunch, so I went to Rubio’s…but then I was so hungry at the time that I didn’t think the fish burrito would fill me up, so I went next door to Panda Express and got myself a two-item combo. I. AM. TOTALLY. OUT. OF. CONTROL.

We finally met our OB/GYN yesterday. After waiting almost an hour in the waiting room, I was ready to switch doctors. But then we met her, and she seemed really nice and experienced. So I guess I can overlook the tardiness. George was also FINALLY able to experience seeing his first ultrasound, too! I think he was in awe. 🙂 It was pretty great to see the baby (now fully formed) moving around and flapping its arms and legs around as if waving to us. SO CUTE! Our doctor printed out a few pictures of the ultrasound, and I swear a couple of them made the baby look like Venom (from Spiderman) because you can actually see the teeth (still in it’s gums of course) while the baby was looking directly at the camera and smiling. HAHAHAHA…

I’m still keeping up with the swimming. Thank goodness. Because the doctor has already told me to watch my weight. 😦

I can’t believe we survived the first trimester! We’re a third of the way there! I’m really looking forward to the next three months because the second trimester is supposed to be when I feel my best. I can’t wait to completely shed the nausea and all the other discomforts and begin to enjoy the pregnancy.


Nausea: HOPEFULLY starting to fade. *keeping my fingers crossed*

Weight gain: +8 lbs. (BAH!)

Gas: Yes, I said it. I have gas. And lots of it.

Cravings: It changes daily.

Week 14 (July 9-July 15):

Just when I thought the nausea was going away…it pulls me back in!! It’s supposed to be common to think that your nausea is fading around the 13-15 week only to have it come back. It’s like your body is playing a very sick joke on you. 😦

So no, I haven’t been feeling very well lately. But it’s not nearly as bad as how it was during the first few weeks. My sense of smell is still as sensitive as ever. I’m sad to say that I can’t really stand to be around Booty because I can’t stand his smell. 😦 Poor doggie. He looks at me like he doesn’t know what he’s done. AWWWWWWWW…it seriously brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Anyway, I’ve noticed how bland this blog is because I haven’t posted up any photos. It’s just such a drag to upload pictures and make sure they fit well with the text. I will try and scan/upload our ultrasound pics soon. But don’t be expecting any week-by-week shots of my belly. It’s hard enough accepting the fact that I can no longer see my feet without tilting my head forward, I don’t think I need to share with the entire world how big and round my belly has become.


Nausea: Ugh.

Weight gain: +9 lbs. (*sniff*)

Gas: Yes, I said it. I have gas. And lots of it.

Cravings: It changes daily.

Week 15 (July 16-July 22):

My 15th week have come and gone. Two more weeks and we get to find out if we’re having a boy or girl! I can’t wait. No that it matters one way or the other, but I just want to know! George too. I think he’s prepared for it to be either…even though he will have a lot more in common with a little boy, I think he’ll be putty in his little girl’s hands. Aw.

Nothing really new to report this week. I’m definitely getting big and round. All of my coworkers know now that I’m pregnant. And not all of them have had to ask me either. Some just assumed. Not sure if that’s such a good thing. I should really stop obsessing about how much weight I’m gaining and just let it all hang out.


Nausea: I think the end is in sight. 🙂

Weight gain: Didn’t weigh myself this week, so I’ll report back next week.

Gas: Yes.

Cravings: ORANGE BANG!

Week 16 (July 23-July 29):

What I thought was a relapse of my morning sickness turned out to be the stomach flu. Ugh. 😦 I even had to visit the ER just to make sure that the baby was ok. You know what’s the biggest difference between getting the stomach flu when you’re pregnant versus when you’re not is? You don’t lose any weight. Hahahaha…(ahem).

Anyhow, that’s why I was so late in posting this week. Sorry! I’ll be better next week. 🙂


Stomach flu. ‘Nuff said.

Week 17 (July 30-August 5):

Definitely feel a lot better this week. In fact, I think my nausea is almost completely gone! Woopee! 🙂 This week also marked the first time I felt the baby move!!! For George’s birthday, we went to see The Dark Knight, and the baby was totally moving during the movie…and at one point, it literally jumped from being startled by a sound in the movie! Hahahaha…so cute.

I’m really starting to grow attached to this little life sucker. 🙂 I can’t wait to meet him or her. I keep wondering who he or she is going to look like…me or George? Or both of us? Or neither?

Today, I had my 17-20 week prenatal visit. It was just a regular check up, however, this was also the visit where they did the AFP screening to let me know if the baby is at high risk of having a birth defect. 😦 Basically, if they call me within a week, then there’s something wrong. If not, I’ll get the results at my next visit. Here’s hoping the phone doesn’t ring.

My boss also told me yesterday that SOMEONE in the office has a case of the shingles. Which means if I’ve never had the chicken pox, I could be in danger of getting it from being exposed to shingles..which is basically the same virus as the chicken pox. And apparently, it’s VERY dangerous for pregnant women to get the chicken pox. Good thing I’m immune. 🙂

Finally, FRIDAY is the big day! We’ll be going in for our 18th week ultrasound. Which means we can find out if Tyler’s going to be a boy or a girl! I’m so excited. Not that it matters either way, but for me, any new information I can find out about the baby is exciting. Can’t wait!


Nausea: Almost gone!

Weight gain: +12 lbs.

Gas: Yes.

Cravings: Noodles.

Week 18 (August 6-August 12):

As most of you know by now, Tyler’s a GIRL! 🙂 We found out last Friday at our 18th week ultrasound. And the ultrasound tech also printed out some more pics for us. She had her little legs crossed, and was not in the mood to move around, so we almost couldn’t find out her sex. Ha. So cute. We can’t wait to meet our little girl. And George can’t wait to buy his gun. Ha.

She’s also starting to move around a lot. Actually, she’s always moved around, but I have just recently started feeling it. It’s really now the highlight of my day to feel her little kicks. Each time I feel her move, I’m reassured a little more that she’s ok and as fiesty as ever! 🙂

My nausea is also FINALLY gone. Thank goodness. I’m finally able to start eating without feeling ill or hoping that whatever I eat won’t make me ill.

All in all, this has been a GREAT week.


Weight gain: a lot.

Gas: Yes.

Cravings: Chopped salads drowning in Thoursand Island dressing. Yum!

Weeks 19-21 (August 13-September 2):

Sorry it’s been awhile since I lasted posted. I just haven’t been able to bring myself to blog about the pregnancy the last three weeks. For those of you who don’t know, it’s been a very nerve-wracking and sometimes frightful time for us.

A week after George and I found out our little Tyler was a girl, our doctor informed us that at the ultrasound, they found two choroid plexus cysts (cysts in the brain) as well as her kidneys were a little bit dialated. Both of these, although common and harmless on their own, are also considered soft markers for chromosomal abnormalities like Down’s Syndrome and Edward’s Syndrome. Needless to say, I was devastated at the news. Even though everyone assured us that everything was going to be alright and our little girl was going to be fine, I couldn’t stop thinking about the worst-case scenarios. We immediately scheduled a level 2 ultrasound with the perinatologist at Kaiser for the following week to get a closer look at our baby and look for other soft markers that could point to an even greater risk for the chromosomal abnormalities. During that week, the more research we did on these symptoms, the more George and I felt that the only way we could be sure that our baby girl was going to be fine was to opt for an amniocentesis. It’s the only way we could have gotten a definitive answer. So on the day of our level 2 ultrasound, our perinatologist also performed the amnio for us.

One of the biggest reasons why I wanted to have kids soon after George and I got married was so that I didn’t have to go through having an amnio if I got pregnant after 35. I hate needles. I especially hate long needles that stick directly through your abdomen. But for my little girl, I was willing to do anything and everything to insure that she was healthy. Fortunately, the procedure wasn’t as bad as I imagined it to be. In fact, it wasn’t even painful. The only painful part about it was the waiting. 10 days to get the results back…

…and we finally did, this morning. Almost a full two weeks of excrutiating waiting. And it was normal. The relief that I felt after hearing the news almost made me burst into tears. I never thought that I’d be as attached to someone I haven’t even met as I am to my little girl. Ever since I felt her move inside me, I’ve had this very strong and unbreakable connection with her. It’s an amazing feeling and it really does make you forget all the uncomfortable moments in the beginning because you realize that a little person is growing inside and that makes it all worth it.

George and I want to thank all of you who’ve kept us in your thoughts these past few weeks. Your love and support are what made this time bearable for us.

Here’s to an uneventful rest of the pregnancy. 🙂


Weight gain: a lot.

Gas: Yes.

Cravings: Anything and everything.

Week 22 (September 3-September 9):

It was a very uneventful and mellow week. Which was a welcome change from the rollercoaster we’ve had to endure the past month because of our little scare. 🙂 Little Tyler is moving around more and more now, mostly at night and EARLY in the morning. Kind of makes me nervous if this is any indication of what her schedule is going to be like when she’s born.

Yesterday, I met with our HR person about my impending maternity leave. Something that I’ve dreaded having to do from the beginning because the whole damn thing is just so CONFUSING!!!! Luckily, the HR rep I met with was very nice and patiently explained to me OVER AND OVER AND OVER again how much time I can take off and how the pay should be calculated. For those of you who haven’t gone through this nightmare…here’s a brief overview:

Basically, regardless of where you work, as long as you’re a full-time employed resident of the state of California for at least 12 months, you get disability pay (Pregnancy Disability Leave) up to 4 weeks before your baby’s born, and 6 or 8 weeks (depending on whether or not you have a C-section) after your baby’s born. Your pay during this period is up to 55% of your base salary and is paid directly from the state. After the 6 or 8 weeks, you have the option to take up to 12 weeks of Family Bonding Time with your baby. However, only 6 of those 12 weeks is paid by the state, and again, you still only get 55% of your base salary. The good thing is, your pay during this time is NON-TAXABLE. If you decide you can’t afford to take all of the 12 weeks of Family Bonding Time because you only get partial pay for half of it, and the other half is completely unpaid, you can split up those 12 weeks any way you’d like within the first year of your baby’s birth. For example, if I decide to only take 6 weeks of Family Bonding Time during my maternity leave, then I’ll still be entitled to 6 more weeks of time off (unpaid–or paid with my vacation time) within a year. Now, you might be wondering what the difference is then between being entitled to those 6 weeks or just using my vacation time…well the biggest difference is that your boss CAN’T deny your time off. Whereas, if you were just requesting vacation time, they can say no.

Since I work at Kaiser, I’m allowed to supplement my disability pay with my vacation and sick time. Which means for the first 8…maybe 10 weeks, I’ll have FULL PAY. Once I run out of vacation and sick time, then my checks will only be 55% of my base salary until the end of the first 6 weeks of Family Bonding Time. Which means that all in all, I’ll be taking close to 4 months off with SOME sort of pay. Now, that sounds like a lot, but when you really think about it….that means by the time both George and I have completely depleted all of our time-off and have to send little Tyler off to daycare, she’ll only be MAYBE close to 6 months old. 😦 So little!!!!! Sigh.

Plus, I was hoping to be able to take the 4 weeks off before the birth, but now it looks like I won’t be able to do that without cutting into the time I can take off after the birth if I want to be getting some sort of pay during my time off. Guess I really will be working all the way up until my water breaks. BLECH.

Anyway, I suppose we have it better than most people. It’s just when it comes to your own baby, no matter how much time you get to spend with her, it never seems like it’s enough. I’m so jealous of the people who can afford to quit their jobs and stay home with their kids…

Time to go buy a lotto ticket.


Weight gain: a lot.

Gas: Yes.

Cravings: Anything and everything.

Week 23 (September 10-September 16):

I can’t believe I’m only 6 months into the pregnancy. It seems like it’s been forever. We went to visit our friends Larry and Sandy this weekend with their newborn little girl, and George and I came to the same conclusion that we’re more excited than ever to become parents ourselves.

But don’t get me wrong, even though we’re excited, we’re still well aware of how hard and overwhelming life is going to get as soon as Tyler makes her debut. Just today, I was reminded to start our baby registry. I had no idea how much stuff babies required. All along, I thought we were pretty lucky to get TONS of hand-me-downs from family and friends, and kept telling all of our friends who had been asking, that all we’re going to need are diapers. Yeah right. Anyway, I started our registry today, and let’s just say it’s about 30 items long right now. Sigh.

Oh..and we also went to the first SC football game this past weekend. It was great!…and lots of fun. But I’m thinking I won’t be able to make it to all the home games this year. One, I’m just going to get bigger and bigger as the season progresses which means I’ll just be uncomfortable. And two, the season ends about a month before my due date. Which means any sort of excitement from now until then could potentially throw me into preterm labor. And I definitely wouldn’t want to be at the Coliseum when my water breaks.


Weight gain: Ok fine. I’ll admit it. 25 lbs. so far.

Gas: Yes.

Cravings: Nothing really. And although my appetite is definitely growing, and food tastes great while I’m eating it, I’m starting to get a bad taste in my mouth after every meal. 😦

Week 24 (September 17-September 23):

Little Tyler is moving more and more! Pretty soon, I’m going to have to start doing kick counts. Which, of course, knowing me will introduce something new to worry about. Basically, I’ll have to choose a time of day when she seems to move around and kick the most and count her kicks. She’s supposed to kick 10 times in a span of like 10 minutes or something. If not, then they say there could be a possibility that she’s in distress, which means I’ll have to rush myself to the ER. Fun times eh?

With so much to worry about, it’s really amazing to me just how many people there are in the world.

Anyway…one good thing about having a baby is of course, the BABY SHOWER! Not that I’m particularly looking forward to getting a bunch of baby stuff, although that is a definite plus, I LOVE to plan parties! Even though my sister is actually the one doing the planning and organizing…I put myself in charge of favors. Hopefully, they’ll turn out well. 🙂 George and I definitely feel loved with the amount of people already commited to coming…and the list is still growing!

Anyhow, that’s all for this week. Only 14 more weeks to go! Can’t wait!


Same as last week, except I think I gained another pound. Speaking of which, my dad said I look like I’m getting fat today. Thanks dad, like I hadn’t noticed.

Week 25 (September 24-September 30):

Alrightie. It’s really starting to get uncomfortable…and I have another 3 months to go. Great. Not to mention, I’m starting to waddle when I walk. Lovely.

Anyhow, last week, I mentioned that one of the great things about having a baby is the baby shower….the other thing is getting a NEW CAR! 🙂 This past week, we sold my Accord and bought ourselves a CR-V (aka mom-mobile). It’s so pretty and I LOVE driving it! Not to mention it’s way roomier than a sedan, yet it’s more fuel-efficient. Go figure. And the best part? I love being above everyone else on the road. HA! The only downside is, it’s a lot harder rolling in and out of a higher car than it is a regular sedan. Yes, I’m starting to roll in and out of cars. 😦


Nesting: I’m really starting my nesting phase. I can’t stand our kitchen floor being dirty. (It’s the room that Booty is usually confined to in the house, so the floor gets extra dirty extra fast.) Last week, I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the entire floor–tile and grout.  We’ll see what I do this week.

Week 26 (October 1-October 7):

Sorry for being a day late in posting this week. We had an OB visit yesterday so I left work earlier than usual. (I usually blog at work. HA!) Anyhow, it’s official…the doc said I’m gaining too much weight and to short an amount of time. Although the scale at the office is WAY DIFFERENT than the scale I have at home. I’m 7 pounds heavier on the scale at the doctor’s office!! So I’m going to go with the one at home. Plus, I weighed myself for the first time after I found out I was pregnant at home and have been going by that number to see how much weight I’ve gained. So…yeah 29 pounds and counting. Ugh.

I wonder how big Tyler is right now. I can’t believe that in 10 short weeks, she’ll be full term and ready for the world. I can’t wait to meet her.


Nesting: Still feeling the need to clean. Can’t stand dirty dishes.

Anemic: Doc said I’m anemic. Boo. I’ve been feeling VERY TIRED lately. And all the books say that the 2nd trimester is supposed to be when I get my surge of energy! So I started taking one iron pill a day. And I don’t know if it’s in mind, but ever since I started, I’ve been feeling a lot more energetic.

Ligament pains: For a couple of days, I thought I was having contractions. Every time I stood up, my uterus would feel like it tightened and stretched…until I sat back down again. It’s literally a pain. 😦

Restless sleep: Maybe this is nature’s way of training me for the lack of sleep I’m about to suffer through, but I haven’t had a single good night’s sleep lately. Most of it is because I was told not to sleep on my back and try to sleep on my left side for better circulation. So I’ll wake up numerous times at night with a sore shoulder or neck from sleeping on my side. Sigh.

Weeks 27-28 (October 8-October 21):

I’m combining last week and this week’s post because I didn’t get a chance to blog last week. Sorry!

I’ve finally started doing my kick counts. Basically, every evening, I’ll lay sideways on the bed and see how long it takes Tyler to move 10 times. Usually she finishes within a couple of minutes. They say if the suddenly the baby is drastically less active, then I should go to the Labor and Delivery room ASAP. Talk about nerve-wracking.

This past weekend, George and I also went on our babymoon! 🙂 We drove up to Monterey and visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium and drove the 17 Mile Drive and took lots of pictures of the ocean. It was very nice and relaxing. Exactly what both of us needed. Him because he’s been working so much, and me because…well frankly, because I deserve a vacation just for carrying an extra 30 lbs on me every day. Ha.

Hopefully in less than 10 weeks, little Tyler will make her debut. I can’t wait.


Nesting: Did I ever tell you that George is the best husband in the world? He actually scrubbed the kitchen floor because he knew how much I couldn’t stand a dirty floor, cleaned the living room, and scrubbed our shower. And he did all this while I was napping. 🙂

Ligament pains: The ligament pains are getting a little better. They’re more noticeable after I eat a full meal. As soon as I stand up, I feel like my uterus is going to crush my pelvis. Yeah, just imagine that.

Restless sleep: Maybe this is nature’s way of training me for the lack of sleep I’m about to suffer through, but I haven’t had a single good night’s sleep lately. Most of it is because I was told not to sleep on my back and try to sleep on my left side for better circulation. So I’ll wake up numerous times at night with a sore shoulder or neck from sleeping on my side. Sigh.

Heartburn: It’s funny. My heartburn doesn’t happen right after I eat. It usually happens HOURS after I eat. And it’s not pleasant at all.

Week 29 (October 22-October 28):

I’ve been feeling a bit under the weather this week. Can’t tell if it’s a sinus infection or if it’s yet another symptom of pregnancy.

Little Tyler is kicking more and more…and HARD too! She’s like a little soccer player. Ha! 🙂 But not only am I feeling her kicks, I’m also starting to feel her stretches. It’s such an odd feeling. Not to mention odd looking!!! I’ll look down every once in awhile and see my stomach move in a wave-like motion! Definitely very alien-esque. I’m sure if George ever saw that, he’d FREAK! HAHAHA!

This Friday (Halloween), is our follow-up level 2 ultrasound with the perinatologist. She’s going to see if everything is still A-ok. Can’t wait to see Tyler again. I wonder how big she is now?


Here she is!!!! Our perinatologist was nice enough to offer to do our ultrasound in 3D! And she’s currently 3lbs. 9oz.



Week 30 (October 29-November 4):

Can’t believe we only have SINGLE-DIGIT weeks leftover! Suddenly, I’m starting to feel like we’re not going to have enough time to get everything ready before Tyler’s born. Funny because last week, I thought the time was dragging. Ha. Is THIS what the real nesting phase is supposed to be like?

We had our shower over the weekend and got TONS of stuff for the baby. Now, all I have to do is figure out where to put it all.

Since I don’t really have any cravings anymore, I’m trying to eat better, more nutritious…and of course less. 😦 Not that I would ever starve my little Tyler, but I highly doubt she’s going to have a problem with low birth weight. HAHAHA!

Anyhow, today is Election Day! Voting for the President is a given. But I noticed that I’m paying more attention to the state propositions, not for myself, but for my kids. Every proposition I read about, I consider how it’ll affect Tyler. Isn’t that funny? Anyway, go out and vote if you haven’t already!


Nothing specfic. Still uncomfortable. But feeling a lot better AND have been able to sleep through the night!!!! Woohoo!

Weeks 31-33 (November5-November 25):

Sorry it’s been a few weeks since the last update. I’ve just been very busy trying to get everything ready for the baby. Plus, our office also moved to Burbank. 😦 Good thing is, I’m much closer (like a block away) from George’s office. But we can’t really carpool since he works such long hours, but at least we get to eat lunch together.

Thanksgiving is coming up in a few days. It’s kind of hard to imagine what life is going to be like next year at this time. We’ll have an almost 1-year-old! That’s definitely something to be thankful for. 🙂


Weigh gain. 😦

I’m supposed to gain about half a pound every week from now until the baby is born. Ugh.

Week 34 (November26-December 2):

I know, I know, my posts have been very sporadic lately. But nothing really exciting (at least pregnancy-related) has really happened in the last few weeks. I’m getting bigger and bigger. Although most people tell me I haven’t gained much weight anywhere else but my tummy. Which I guess is a good thing. And random strangers will come up to me and tell me that I look very “cute.” Not exactly sure how I should take that, but I’ll take it as a compliment. 🙂

George and I have been dutifully taking our weekly Lamaze classes, and I’m surprised at how helpful and informational they really are. At the very least, I feel a little better knowing what to expect on D-day. However, the anxiety is definitely building. It’s hard to describe. I feel both excited and scared. I can’t wait to meet my little Tyler, but scared at what I have to go through to meet her.  Sigh.

Next week will be my last week at work before I go on my Maternity Leave. Yay!!! Four months at home. 🙂 Today, my work is throwing me a baby shower. I’m very grateful for all the great people I work with. I remember thinking to myself when I first got my job at KP that it was the first time I had been happy with my job. And now that it’s been about a year and a half, I’m still just as happy. In fact, part of me wants to work part time just so I can come to work and see all the wonderful people. Crazy huh?

Anyway, I’m not sure how long I’m going to be able to keep up this Pregnancy blog since D-day could be just around the corner, but rest assured that you will be kept up-to-date with all of our happenings with our baby girl in a new blog I will start after the dust settles from the delivery. Till then, keep checking back every week. I’m sure I’ll come up with something new and exciting to write about for my last few weeks of being ‘as big as a house’ as someone so eloquently put it.

Weeks 35-36 (December 3-December 16):


Four months of no work. I feel like I have to keep productive, but I also know that I only really have a couple of weeks of actual “time off” before the REAL work begins. What to do…

We found out today that Sy and Alisa, who’s due date is a day before our’s, had their baby boy YESTERDAY (Dec. 14). I think it’s finally really sunk in that George and I could possibly have a baby on our hands ANY DAY NOW.

We also took our final Lamaze class last Thursday. I’m not exactly sure how much of the breathing we’ll actually use, since I’m all about having as much drugs as legally allowed, but at least it’s a good back-up plan in case the anethesiologist doesn’t make it in time…geez. Can you imagine?! I already told George he has TWO jobs on D-Day. He has to make sure that our doctor knows that we’re banking the baby’s cord blood. And he has to MAKE SURE the anesthesiologist is there.

Anyway, tomorrow marks the first day of our 37th week…which means FULL TERM! 🙂 I never thought I’d make it to this day.

Weeks 37-40 (December 17-January 6):

I’m still here. Waiting. Here I thought Tyler would be early. Ha! I guess our little girl has a mind of her own and has decided to come on her own time and NO ONE’S going to rush her. I hope this isn’t an indication of what her personality is going to be like when she’s born. Stubborness is a virtue that George and I will only tolerate to a certain degree. 

We went to our appointment last week and the doc said that it doesn’t look like I’m very far along in the process…so she’s going to see how I’m doing on Wed., and schedule to induce me on Thursday. It’s definitely starting to feel like the end is near. My stomach is so heavy and it’s starting to become REALLY difficult to get around…even just walking makes me incredibly tired and winded. Not to mention having to get up multiple times during the night to go to the bathroom. I literally have to roll myself out of bed and roll back on. Sigh.

Anyway, hopefully my next post will be the last for this prenancy page with details of D Day. After that, I’ll see if I’m up to starting another page of Tyler’s happenings. 🙂


3 Responses to “WE’RE HAVING A BABY!”

  1. Lauren Says:

    Hi Joyce!
    If you want, I know a place where they’ll do ultrasounds for $25 and it’s in Newport Beach. The lady is supposed to be really good. If you want to find out the sex of the baby, she can tell you as early as 12 weeks! I didn’t go because I said I could wait until 18 weeks, but she was my back up plan if the baby wasn’t cooperative! Let me know if you want the info.
    ~Lauren 🙂

  2. Lauren Says:

    Hi Joyce!
    Congrats on the girl. Now our little boy will have a potential girlfriend! Hahaha! Glad you’re feeling better. I’m getting bigger and bigger. We have to get together and hang out before our little buggers get here! Talk to ya soon!
    Lauren 🙂

  3. Kat Says:

    I really enjoyed reading your blog Joyce. Thank you for sharing it with me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s